Monday, October 14, 2013


It's been a year since my last post, not sure why...well yes I do, I got busy lots going on I will try to catch you all up but it will be in individual post. I just can,t type that much & since I'm typing on the ipad that makes it even harder, waiting for my key board and stand for my Bday...... On the 31st 2 days!,, not sure how I feel I about that ill be 46 sounds so old, like 45 really didn't seem bad but 46, yea not so much.
Back to last year.....on August 30, 2012 I had my reconstruction......... Oh I was soooo excited, so much so I didn't listen to my sister in-law about maybe post phoning for it to not be on a holiday weekend. To anxious I wanted this over.
So I went......5 am, me, joe, mom, Kenny, Paul & Stephanie head to the hospital. They start to get me prepped PP (brother Paul) of course has to do the pre picture w/ the lovely blue cap on, I look like a dork he of course is heading to work later so he's dresses nice.
We go through all of the questions needed to be asked. Like be of mine was can you fix my ripped ear lobe while in there? Yea no the surgery was to be about 11 hours so no added nips or tucks allowed.
We meet the anesthesiologist can't remember her name but so incredibly nice. Loved PP kept touching his hand & shoulder when he asked questions then hugged me before she left. I think they are all so nice cause they take side hits of the happy juice.
Dr. Sacks comes in to do his markings on his master pieces, (I'm not making that up he really is in love with his work, we call him dr. I love my job, especially the  job I did on Tonilyn , Steph says she thinks its his screen saver.
Anyway before he can mark me we need to kick everyone out! Again I have the entourage with me in the pre-op room.
Happy juice is given & I apparently wave like miss America as I go in.
So 12.25 hours later I'm done! Yes I wrote 12.25 hours.<br />
Joe, mom, &amp; Kenny stayed the entire time. I can not believe that cause its not like you have beds to crash on or even good tv to watch, joe said when dr. Sacks came out for the last up date to say I was in recovery, mom cried(shocker) &amp; hugged him.<br />
Got in the room about 11:00 pm. But not after I kicked out my post op nurse &amp; called in her supervisor.<br />
My first nurse was sheena which happened to be joes mom &amp; pops cats name, so that told me joes pop was with me in the or. She was amazing, so nice, gentle, great bedside manner. Then shifts changed.......ins don't even remember the other nurses name so we will just call her cruella.<br />
Now I've just gotten out of a 12 hour surgery, I'm a bit out of it, plus here's what I had done...... Skip ahead if your queasy .<br />
They removed the expanders in both breasts, then cut me from hip to hip &amp; took all the fat they could get from my tummy to implant into the breasts, had to connect the blood vessels (each one) to the the other tissue to keep it alive &amp; hope that it takes &amp; doesn't reject it.<br />
Then the moved the belly button cause they had to stretch the tummy to connect w/ the pevis &amp; sew it up. &amp; because my port scar keloid he re-cut that to flatten it.<br />
So needless to say I was in a bit of pain.<br />
I was thirsty to but cause I wasn't aloud to drink they give you those sponge sticks they're supposed to taste minty &amp; you suck on them well I started using it as an Ziccardi scooper. So as I m trying to pee on the lovely bed pan ( with a shy bladder still) I burp, good thing cause I need to move the gas, bad thing too much water so I start to throw up, cruella is next to the other bed pan &amp; mom says she's getting sick &amp; is trying to hold me up, &amp; the nurse goes to reach for the pan I'm sitting on! Again a WTF moment mom yells no hand me that one, then I start to pee &amp; mom is trying to get her to help with moving the bed up.<br />
I'm a mess, thank god for my mom, I really mean this I have no idea what I would have done with out her through all of this. But that's another page.<br />
Pain is kicking in again, i need more pain meds, but I'm stuck between get the meds now &amp; wait 2 hours before they will move me to a room or wait &amp; hope they move me with in the hour to a room then get the meds there?<br />
My decision was made when I needed to take off the gowns &amp; put on new ones from the others being soiled &amp; as mom sits me up cruella walks out of the cubicle &amp; leaves my curtain wide open as thejanitor &nbsp;starts taking out the trash &amp; mopping the floors. Yes I have no gown on! WTF<br />
That's it get her out of here.<br />
<b
Joe comes in & they get the supervisor on the phone Justin, he comes down & says fine he will get me another nurse. I the mean time every time I go to move or eat because if the Anesthesia I throw up. Now they're afraid I will aspirate because of my lungs are making a gurgling sounds & my bowl is doing something too, gurgling not gurgling who knows. But then it gets really fun, Justin calls in Anesthesia who decides I should have an NP tube put in. That's that awesome tube that goes in your nose then funnels into your stomach & is supposed suck the junk in your belly out. Well it's normally done while in the or & your a sleep! Nope not me they put it in while I'm in recovery & awake! Oh so fun. NOT. 
It's in & it's gagging me. I can't swallow I can eat, & from all the tugging & pulling my stomach is in so much pain. Guess I'm getting the pain pills down here. 
The upside to this story is that one of the head nurses saw my last name on the schedule & figured I was related to someone (Stephanie) & made sure I was put in a room with some amazing nurses. As it turns out they wanted to put me in ICU because if the gagging, & the boob flaps stay open so they can test the blood flow & make sure everything is connected & working correctly so I would need constant care. 
But she also knew that could be a pain for me moving me again, & joe would not be able to stay with me. Good call I think that would have put me over the edge. & my nurses where some of the most attentive, caring nurses I've ever had. 
My stay was to be 4-5 days, turned out to 5. I had a few more issues like the resident on duty didn't feel the np tube should be removed after a day & a 1/2, so after my nurses made call after call for the order to remove it & he never got back to them, in between a panic attack cause I was chocking, gagging & realized I couldn't breath. I pulled it out myself, yes you read that correctly I pulled it from the nostrils then kept sliding it out of my nose until it was all out! I think I shocked all of the staff, but I knew they couldn't do it & joe was about to but I was afraid he would hurt me cause he could not feel it. So I did it. "My body, my choice"! 
Amazing I felt so much better, until they decided that I should get a chest x ray cause again the Ass of a resident wanted to make sure I wasn't building fluid in my lungs. 2 days after being cut up to look like the dog "frankenweinie" I was moved to a wheel chair & taken to the emergency room X-ray lap where I had to stand & try to balance for a chest X-ray that was normal. 
Needless to say I wrote a letter about that resident. Moron. 
5 days later I was sent home with a walker, a headless lizard tattoo (he was on my hip & had to be decapitated for the tissue flap.) lots of meds, & a realization to listen to Stephanie when she suggests something  like no surgery unless its an emergency on a 5 day holiday weekend. All in all its still a great hospital with amazing surgeons & staff. 

No comments: